Friday, February 10, 2012

Köln Karneval

As many of you know, a week from today is my official last day in Oberursel, Germany. I make way to a new home in London, but not before I make a stop in Cologne for Karneval. I will arrive on Saturday and depart to London on Wednesday. That is four full days!

Now for those who have not heard of this event, it is basically an amped up version of Mardi Gras in New Orleans. Yes, you heard me right. That should give everyone and idea of just how serious the Germans are about the kick off to the lent season. I am not quite sure what to expect, but every local I talk to about it says basically the same thing: "Wow, Karneval, it's so crazy. Germans go absolutely crazy. You're going to think Germans are so insane." Naturally, I'm a combination of anxious, intimidated, and excited.  What better way to say goodbye to wonderful Deutschland than to party with crazy Germans for four days straight?  

Oh and did I mention the best part? Everyone dresses up in costumes. Every single person. Elderly people are suddenly transformed into sexy nurses and clowns complete with face paint and wigs. People even dress up their dogs (and for Germans, that is not surprising...they are infatuated with their pups). I'm deciding between a pirate and a 1920s gangster at the current moment, but with my limited au pair income, I'm thinking I will decide on whatever is easiest on the wallet.

As with many religious traditions like Karneval, there is a pagan background. Since the Romans settled the area, the origins of Carnival go back to 2000 years ago. However, Karneval as it's known today in Cologne dates back to 1823.  It features the same three "trinitarian" celebrities every year: the prince, the peasant, and the virgin. Each day from Thursday-Wednesday hosts a plethora of major events with its most popular on the streets of Cologne itself.  I am hoping and praying for above freezing weather! More on this later :-)







No comments:

Post a Comment