Wednesday, August 12, 2015

A Day in the Life

The cold wind rushes through my hair as I reach the bow of the ship. I tuck my face down into my coat and take it all in. The sun is already out and the Alaskan wilderness is awake at this early hour. Standing with my coffee cup in hand, a mixture of steel blue, blinding white, and sooty grey come into view to match the stark contrast of jade-colored water.  

Flat calm, peaceful, and powerful all in one, the glacial valleys take my breath away. Although it is a glacier I have seen many times before, this view feels unique and personal.  I return to the warmth of the interior of the ship and am joined by my friends with morning chatter over coffee. 

Later on in the day, I hop onto a small skiff with the same group of friends as we silently observe two bears in a stream fishing for salmon.  The older bear is successful early in the hunt, but is later joined by the younger, but still large brown bear.  They gently look back toward our boat, then continue to enjoy their meals.

Dinner is interrupted by a pod of orcas swimming under our boat.  They come so close that we can see their individual markings. The bull has a light white marking near his dorsal fin shaped like a Nike swoosh and the calf still has his typical light yellow markings from birth.  He is an able-bodied newborn, however, as he flips through the air, slaps his tail, and plays with the other calf. They continued to follow our boat for two hours.

Once asleep, I am awoken by an announcement from the captain of northern lights. As I bundle up in my cozy jacket and blanket, I climb to the top deck and take in the bright green lights as they dance through the sky like a ribbon, twisting and shaping, forming, and fading. Arm in arm with my friends, we all stand, exchanging gasps of excitement and amazement.  Just as I think they lights are finished performing, they return for another show, each one different from the one before. This is just a glimpse into one of my favorite days as a steward on board a small cruise ship.  Although there is six weeks straight of hard work in between, ultimately it is all about the crew mates who are like family, the guests who are new friends, and the moments that make me stand in awe that solidify this as the experience of a lifetime. 



No comments:

Post a Comment