Saturday, October 8, 2011

No Music, but the Hills are ALIVE!!

The rounded tan cliffs in northern Italy are a complete contrast to the majestic sharp mountains of the Alps in Austria. The first snow of the season showcased white mountain tops and green hills dusted in snow on the already scenic drive through Austria. I must have said "WOW" a thousand times. Actually, Cara (the youngest girl) asked me to choose a different word. For the next 300 km, it will be "BELLA." Appropriate, right?
Lago di Garda is our destination. It is where my host parents second home is located (they just bought their third in London, England). To my left and right, the mountains are soft and muted dotted with villas and vineyards in the valleys. The snowcapped Alps still peek out behind the cliffs from time to time. The region of Italy that we are now driving through is giving me mixed signals. The signs are posted in German and Italian languages and the town centers have Austrian-type cathedrals. I found out from my host dad that the region continues to try and gain independence from Italy and become their own country.  We passed yet another castle, perhaps our fifteenth today. These eroded cliffs, the mountains, old churches, castles, abandoned villas, and the tall trees all have stories. If only they spoke.

I have never seen anything like the Alps beore. They are similar to the Rocky Mountains, but the shapes of the peaks are so distinct. Austria is exactly what I thought it would be, but in person, the sights are breathtaking. Lucky for us, the snow did not interfere with the road travel. It only made our experience that much more "bella" to experience for my first taste of Austria.

No comments:

Post a Comment