Thursday, September 8, 2011

The old wooden stove

My host mother (Carola) had this beautiful pink hibiscus potted in the kitchen when I first arrived. I remember it because it was so bright and tall with two huge blooming flowers. About a week after, the flowers crumbled into nothing leaving no trace of life behind. Another week passed and the "dead flowers" emerged into green buds with so much life and potential. I watched Carola carefully water them until one morning, I woke up to see six tall, bright, pink flowers. They grew back more beautiful and plentiful the second time around. I noticed, however, that she had moved the flowers closer to the sun-room and placed them against the hundred year old wooden stove in the center of the home to support the long stemmed plant.

It made me wonder, is this place, this trip, this year my old wooden stove? Is it going to protect me from toppling, and encourage me in the direction of my greatest potential?

One thing is for sure. I will grow back. I will be brighter and more full of life this time around. What is life but being born, growing, changing, multiplying, and then dying? My spirit feels renewed.

1 comment: