Monday, August 15, 2011

No matter where you go, there you are.

I leave in three days and I have no idea how to feel about it. I have a plethora of mixed emotions ranging from excited to anxious and all the way to hungry (yes, the thought of no American food for a while makes me feel hungry...so sue me). I am surprised that "fearful" and "scared" are not emotions that I feel. This is an adventure I've wanted to pursue for a long time.  Being in a foreign place does not feel foreign to me.

I have a comfortable job at home with a very lovable life, but I don't even feel like a real person some days. I have looked at enough travel guides and watched enough movies in foreign languages to understand that I have a taste for something different than the life I've always known and loved.  I know for a fact I will feel uncomfortable, lonely, and I will be stretched to my limit. My life for the next few months is truly a mystery and wide open. I do not know what to expect and I do not know how it will turn out.  It is the unknown that has always drawn me in. 

That is what I love so much about travel: "No matter where you go, there you are."  No matter how far you go, how much you see, eat, feel, and experience, at the end of the day, you are still with yourself. That implies a lot.

Maybe that's what it is all about for me. Spiritual enlightenment? No. Getting in touch with my inner self? Too deep.  I just want to become the best version of myself and that means learning to live with myself and love myself. 

Until next time friends! Next time I post I will be in Deutschland. Auf Wiedersehen! 


No comments:

Post a Comment