Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Sanctuary

I have been very lonely lately. Sure I have five new family members to keep me company, but they drive me crazy just like my own family. I found myself in my room a lot, being very unlike myself and acting like an introvert.

I never realized that I get bored easily until I moved here. Three days into my stay and I was ready to get out and make friends and meet people, join a sports team, and take up juggling. Ok, maybe not juggling, but I needed to connect with some people, any people.

I noticed an elderly man walking by me as I was window shopping in town today. He walked with such ferocity I decided I had to see where he was going! He walked from the shopping street through the market place, up a gigantic cobblestone hill.  We walked under a narrow archway up to the very top of the hill to the highest point in the city to reveal the city's beautiful yet quiet cathedral. While I was taking in the view, the old man disappeared inside of the church. I waited a few minutes and opened the huge wooden door to the nave and then entered the sanctuary.

I stood on century old stone. The current building had been erected in the 1400s, but religious buildings had stood on the site for over a thousand years. The silence inside was utterly addicting. I could have remained in this depth of mind for days. I was encapsulated. Did I follow this old man or did he lead me? Did he see the desperation in my eyes? The bell tower struck twice, telling me gently that it was time to return home. I got up to exit the church and shot a gentle smile to the old man. He acknowledged me with a nod of his head and closed his eyes in prayer. As cliche as it sounds, found myself much like a new person. The cold rain softly drizzled on me, yet I felt warm as I walked calmly home feeling not quite so alone. I was never really alone after all.

The path to the church...there's my friend, the old man

St. Ursula Church-Oberursel (Taunus)

No comments:

Post a Comment